THE COMMUNITY CREED
The purpose of the rewriting of the Community Creed is to better reflect the values of Vanderbilt’s community.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY CREED
The Community Creed is a student-initiated statement of the values to which the Vanderbilt community aspires. In the Spring of 2018, a task force of six VSG members came together to outline a new creed, and it was officially adopted by Vanderbilt in March of 2018.
THE COMMUNITY CREED (A.N.C.H.O.R.)
- Academic – We strive to pursue intellectual knowledge with curiosity and humility. We engage in a partnership of learning and discovery, where the scholarly exploration of ideas is not only protected, but encouraged.
- Neighborly – We strive to be ambassadors of goodwill within our campus and beyond. We serve, uplift, and empower the members of our global neighborhood.
- Courageous – We strive to be courageous, acting with bold authenticity. We embrace taking risks, challenging assumptions, and persevering in the face of adversity.
- Honest – We strive for honesty in our academic endeavors and relationships with others. We commit to integrity and accountability across all aspects of life—personally, professionally, and academically.
- Open – We strive to openly engage with ideas, experiences, and with one another. We welcome every background and story through celebration of the diversity that enriches our common experience and active participation in constructive conversations about our differences.
- Respectful – We strive to promote a culture of civility grounded in equity, inclusivity, and respect. We hold each other’s passions and perspectives in high regard, endeavoring to live a life of personal growth and service.
If you have questions about the Community Creed, please reach out to Student Body President, France Burton, at firstname.lastname@example.org.