The Advising Basics
- Advisors will meet with students in search of advice pertaining to research.
- Will give advice about how to contact a PI, how to conduct oneself in a lab, how to advocate for oneself, etc. Any and all questions are welcome!
- Advisees will be able to book appointments online through Doreways — see the sign up instructions below. They can choose from the available times, which will vary based on the advisor they choose. The times in Doreways will not show who the individual advisor is, but we will have our times posted on the SIM wesbsite so the advisees can select their preferred advisor based on the days/times posted.
- Meetings will be conducted via Zoom. You will receive the Zoom link after registering for a coaching appointment.
- Advisors are SIM board members.
- Advisees are any and all undergrads who are interested!
New this semester
- We will have group advising sessions so you and your friends can sign up for the same advising time and have your questions answered together!
The Advising Schedule
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Tiara Oldfield & Sydney Roth) — Group session
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM (Sydney Roth)
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM (Hamza Kouser)
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (Tiara Oldfield)
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM (Tiara Oldfield & Samantha MacGavin) — Group session
5:00 PM – 8:00 PM (Anica Mohammadkhah)
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Sydney Roth)
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM (Jennifer Tat)
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM (Kolapo Dairo & Hamza Kouser) — Group session
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM (Kolapo Dairo)
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM (Hamza Kouser)
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM (Samantha MacGavin)
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Jennifer Tat)
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM (Samatha MacGavin)
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM (Kolapo Dairo)
How to Sign Up
1. Log in to Doreways (using the student log in credentials) – just google “Doreways student log in”
2. Click on Students, log in
- 3. On the left sidebar, click the “Counseling and Calendar” drop down menu, and then click on “Coaching Appointments”
- 4. Scroll down and click on the black button that says “Request New Appointment”
- 5. Click on the “Type” drop down menu and select “SIM Science Advising Meeting”. Under “Coaches”, select “SIM Science Advising”. Under “Days of the Week”, select the desired days. Click “Check Availability”.
- 6. Choose the desired appointment from the options that pop up on the right.
- 7. Under “Reason for Appointment”, please write why you are seeking advising.
- 8. Click the black button that says “Submit Request”
For further assistance, see the screenshots below.
All Advisors – All advisors can answer your general research questions on approaching laboratories, communicating with a PI, strategies for success in a lab, and research for credit on campus.
Sydney Roth – conducts research in Dr. Key’s Psychophysiology Lab at the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center and also works with Dr. Kumah-Crystal at VUMC on data analysis related development of a Voice-Assisted Electronic Health Record, obtained research position from SIM Research Match
Jennifer Tat – member of the Calipari Lab where she studies the neurocircuitry underlying Substance Use Disorder, working on an Honors Thesis, previously awarded two competitive summer fellowships (VUSRP and ASPET)
Anica Mohammadkhah – expert in questions related to the SIM research match
Samantha MacGavin – member of the Mchaourab lab since Spring 2020, obtained research posiiton from SIM research match
Kolapo Dairo – spent the last 3 summers conducting research in a wet lab in Columbus, currently in his second semester in a psychology research lab on Peabody College
Hamza Kouser – 2.5 years of lab experience in psychology
Tiara Oldfield – spent the last 3 summers conducting tumor immunology research, worked with Dr. Ann Richmond in the Department of Cancer Biology for the past semester