The Advising Basics
- Advisors will meet with students in search of advice pertaining to research
- Will give advice about how to contact a PI, how to conduct oneself in a lab, how to advocate for oneself, etc. Any and all questions are welcome!
- Advisees will be able to book appointments online through Doreways — see the sign up instructions below. They can choose from the available times, which will vary based on the advisor they choose. The times in Doreways will not show who the individual advisor is, but we will have our times posted on the SIM wesbsite so the advisees can select their preferred advisor based on the days/times posted.
- Meetings will be held in the Stevenson library study room
- Advisors are SIM board members
- Advisees are any and all undergrads who are interested
- New this Semester
- There are now group drop-in hours, so you and your friends cam come with any questions you might have!
- No need to sign up—just stop by the Stevenson library study room
The Advising Schedule
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (Hamza Kouser)
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM (Laurie Lapp)
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Laurie Lapp)
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (Charita)
12:15 PM – 1:00 PM (Evan Rothchild) — Group session
1:00 – 2:00 PM (Brian Hou)
12:15 PM – 1:00 PM (Evan Rothchild)
10:00 AM – 10:45 AM (Laurie Lapp) — Group Session
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM (Jennifer Tat and Kolapo) — Group session
How to Sign Up
1. Log in to Doreways (using the student log in credentials) – just google “Doreways student log in”
2. Click on Students, log in
- 3. On the left sidebar, click the “Counseling and Calendar” drop down menu, and then click on “Coaching Appointments”
- 4. Scroll down and click on the black button that says “Request New Appointment”
- 5. Click on the “Type” drop down menu and select “SIM Science Advising Meeting”. Under “Coaches”, select “SIM Science Advising”. Under “Days of the Week”, select the desired days. Click “Check Availability”.
- 6. Choose the desired appointment from the options that pop up on the right.
- 7. Under “Reason for Appointment”, please write why you are seeking advising.
- 8. Click the black button that says “Submit Request”
For further assistance, see the screenshots below.
Jennifer Tat – Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt Center for Addiction Research, Wet Lab, VUMC, ASPET Fellow, and VUSRP
Laurie Lapp – Carter Lab 01/2019 – 08/2019; Numerical Brain Lab 01/2017 – 08/2018. Areas of expertise include research for credit, research for pay, neuroscience and psychology research