Welcome to Vanderbilt’s Community of Honor
Welcome to Vanderbilt from UHC President Tanya Tejani
Welcome to Vanderbilt! You should be proud of your acceptance into our prestigious University, and we are looking forward to having you join our community this fall. Here at Vanderbilt, you will have the opportunity to grow both as a scholar and as a global citizen, and you will be well-equipped with the tools necessary to positively impact the world around you.
Vanderbilt’s esteemed academic reputation has been made possible by the collaboration of students and faculty, bound together by our Honor System. The Vanderbilt Honor Code is one of the school’s oldest and most revered traditions, and it governs all academic work completed by students within the University’s ten schools. An integral branch of the Honor System is the student-run Undergraduate Honor Council. The Undergraduate Honor Council strives to educate the student body about the importance of academic integrity by fostering a collaborative culture of academic honesty and to hold accountable any individuals who violate the spirit of the Honor Code. However, the maintenance of this communal trust is truly the responsibility of the whole student body.
To begin understanding your role in this community of trust, please complete these three action steps before the start of the semester.
- Watch the video above entitled Welcome to Vanderbilt’s Community of Honor.
- To learn more about the concept of academic integrity more broadly, we ask that you complete The Pocket Guide to Academic Integrity.
- To fulfill your responsibility of understanding the Honor Code, I encourage you to read about Vanderbilt’s Honor System in the Student Handbook, which can be found at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/student_handbook/the-honor-system/. You will also learn more about this time-honored tradition of trust during the Honor Code Signing Ceremony in August, where you will make your formal pledge to abide by the Honor Code.
Resources and Further Questions
Please take advantage of the below resources to understand more about the Honor Code. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Undergraduate Honor Council at Honor.Council@vanderbilt.edu.
- Your Professors and TAs
- Office of Student Accountability, Community Standards, and Academic Integrity
- Undergraduate Honor Council
- Student Handbook
- Vanderbilt Libraries
- The Writing Center
- Academic Skills Support in The Center for Student Wellbeing